Saturday, April 21, 2012

ALTAMIRA FINE ART, A Gerald Peters Exhibit, NMWA entry, and Red Horses



Hello Everyone!

I accidentally posted this post at the same time as the Giclee Sale last week and since it posted under the 'sale' post most people did not see it.  Please excuse the redundancy if you already have seen it. It is part of my 'blog' learning curve.  

Spring is in the air and with it are longer days and renewed energy!  Jackson rarely has spring come this early so it is a treat, the birds that migrate are here and the aspens are budding.  It is a bit of a shock and nobody is complaining... quite the contrary.   
There is much to report in this blog post. I will start with:

A gallery transition from Trio Fine Art to ALTAMIRA Fine Art

 I will be in transition from Trio Fine Art, which I co-owned and co-operated for six years, to ALTAMIRA Fine Art on May first.  The reason for this new chapter is that I want to have more time to paint.  Running Trio Fine Art has been an incredibly rewarding experience in regards to having the opportunity to work with, and create art alongside, the talent of Kathryn Turner, Molly Hirschfield, Lee Riddell, and Jennifer Hoffman.  I am proud of what Trio has become and would like to extend a huge amount of gratitude to my business partners, collectors, family and friends for your support.  Neither Trio Fine Art nor my career would be where they are without your unwavering enthusiasm. I am excited to have the opportunity to exhibit at ALTAMIRA and will have a one woman exhibition this summer from July 24th - August 14th, with a reception on August 2nd. If you are in town please come and the paintings will be available to view online.

Other exciting news is:
An Exhibit at The Gerald Peters Gallery

'Works on Paper' 
The Gerald Peters Gallery - Santa Fe
May 11th - June 16th
Hedley - Johnson - Loken - Vhay

The following paintings will be displayed as part of this exhibit.
'Joy Four' - 10 x 10 - Watercolor on 300lb Arches Hot Press Paper - GP - SOLD
'Joy Five' - 10 x 10 - Watercolor on 300 lb Arches Hot Press Paper - GP - SOLD
'Joy Six' - 10 x 10 - Watercolor on 300 lb. Arches Hot Press Paper - GP - SOLD 
It is no wonder that hummingbirds are a symbol of abundance and joy.  I paint them as the sheer sight or sound of them immediately fills my soul with delight.  


'Blue Mustang One' - 9 x 15 - Watercolor on 300 lb. Arches Hot Press Paper  - GP - SOLD 
'Blue Mustang Two' -  9 x 13 - Watercolor on 300 lb. Arches Hot Press Paper - GP  - SOLD 
Outside of the fact that I have an affinity for horses in general, Mustangs have a special place in my heart as I grew up in Nevada and have been watching them in the desert ever since I was a child.  The wild horse epitomizes the west. 

For more information about these pieces or the exhibit please contact Maria Hajic and the below email link:

It is an honor to be asked for the second year in a 
row to participate in the 'More' category of the 
National Museum of Wildlife Art's Western Visions Miniatures and More Exhibit 
this upcoming September.
'A Kindred Glow' - 20 x 36 - Oil on Belgian Linen - NMWA - SOLD
This painting was inspired by a John Singer Sargent (American, 1850 - 1925) painting, titled Smoke of Ambergris, that I saw this past January at the Clark Museum in Williamstown, Massachusetts. Sargent's handling of paint is like none other and to be able to see the brush strokes in person made me a better painter. Every few years there is a painting that changes the way that I work and see. This was one of those. 'A Kindred Glow' was also inspired by the beauty of this bird and my fascination of painting white objects. I would like to thank Henry Holdsworth for his generosity in allowing me to work from his photographs for this piece.
'Ode to O'Keeffe Two Sketch' - 5 x 7 - Conte on Paper - NMWA - SOLD
This sketch will be a part of the drawing division of the NMWA Miniatures and More exhibit. 
These works will be available on the night of September 14th.
For more information please click on the link below:

New Red Horses

The red horses paintings are created purely from imagination, they are done outside of reference material.  They are based upon thirty years of drawing the horse, japanese sumi-e brush painting, and inspiration from deceased artist Craig Sheppard,  and the abstract sculptures of Deborah Butterfield. These works are numbered as to their place in a trajectory of these paintings which began in 2007.

There are a few new facets to this group of Red Horses. I have not yet done a colt - Red Horse 30, nor have i done one as small as Red Horse 45 which is 3.5 x 5. I have also been exploring a new substrate, 4 ply Bristol (on RH 41 and 42). Bristol has a less absorbent surface so the water and the pigment float on the top which creates a lovely pooling effect with the paint. It is also smoother and brighter white which gives the paint more vibrancy. On Red Horse 41 and 42 I have added washes of red paint along with the watercolor lines of the horses.
'Red Horse 45' - 3.5 x 5 - Watercolor on 300 lb. Arches Hot Press Paper - Altamira - SOLD
'Red Horse 43' - 7 x 10 - Watercolor on 300 lb. Arches Hot Press Paper - Altamira - SOLD
'Red Horse 41' - 7 x 9 - Watercolor on 300 lb. Arches Hot Press Paper - Altamira - SOLD
'Red Horse 42' - 7 x 9 - Watercolor on 300 lb. Arches Hot Press Paper - Altamira - SOLD
For Information about these Red Horses please contact Altamira Fine Art at the below link:

And last, but not least, I have to include this picture of my new studio companion Uma. I never thought I would own a mini dachshund (a dog not built for one of the coldest places in the country).  Nor did I think that I would own a dog who now has a down coat and a blue fleece jacket.  All that said, I am smitten, so she is staying.  Here is 'Uma in Blue' - she is quite proud of herself, as she should be :)!


All my best,
~September